When you think of England, or at least when I would think of England before the move, you think of rain and gray skies. Or at least that's what you hear. I assumed England would be rainy and cold but assumptions don't sink in like reality does...
Yes, there is the random sunny day, where we do get a glimpse of a blue sky (and it is gorgeous). But the rain returns as quickly as it left. The wind has surprised me quite a bit. Coming from New Mexico, I was actually looking forward to the change of climate and getting away from the HORRIBLE New Mexico winds. Just take a look back over some Instagram pics and you will see what I am talking about. But the wind here has been quite intense lately. There is absolutely no way possible to keep a hairstyle in place once you have left your house and ventured into the elements. Between the humidity, rain and wind there is no miracle hair product for all of that! If you have found a solution, PLEASE tell me :)
With all whining aside, here are the facts about British weather. And by facts, I mean "Jamie Facts".
1. It rains...A LOT. And usually not hard rain. It's usually just enough to need an umbrella and ruin your hair. 'Spittle' is a term I have heard being used around these parts.
2. It's usually gray outside. My sunglasses get very little use.
3. The wind can be brutal and make you wonder why you ever thought an umbrella was a good idea in the first place.
4. Wellies are ESSENTIAL to your wardrobe! I thought my Hunter boots would be a cute addition to my wardrobe just in case I needed them. I literally wear them EVERYDAY!!!
5. The temperature/weather is so steady it can drive you crazy, there is never any fluctuation. I crack up at the weather reports here... 'the sun is going to come out, and then it is going to rain, and then the sun will come out, and then it will rain, and rain some more, and the temperature will be the exact same as yesterday' (remember, I said "Jamie Facts")
ok, positivity is on its way...
7. RAINBOWS!! If I was a little kid living in England, I would be going nuts over the amount of rainbows you see here. Double rainbows are very common and Van and I laugh and joke when we see them. (If you don't know what we are laughing about, youtube double rainbow!!)
7. When the sun does peek its pretty little head out, it is fantastic. It makes all of the gray days worth it. All of the beautiful buildings and green grass just seem to perk up and sparkle in the light. And you reflect on why you love England so much and how incredible it is to be living here!
British weather can be a difficult aspect in adjusting to your new expat life. It is so easy to just give up on venturing out because staying inside under a blanket on the sofa sounds perfect just about every day here. Luckily we were given some good advice before moving here. Never plan around the weather and just go. You never know what kind of weather will show itself when you arrive at your destination. And it's just rain. Everybody else is dealing with it and so can you! And just remember to live the sunny days to their fullest, make it a celebration :)
For other thoughts on British Life, read here :)